8Cr14MoV Steel is a high carbon chromium stainless steel. After heat treatment, which varies with the manufacturing company, it has high hardness, great wear-resistance, and excellent corrosion resistance. Many knife companies use this steel to make budget knives.
8Cr14MoV Steel knives will not offer excellent performance like high-end steel knives, but they are good for the price. Do not despise the performance of these knives because of the low price compared to the price tag of premium steels.
Due to the high amount of chromium elements in its composition, 8Cr14MoV is stainless steel, hence offering good corrosion resistance.
Apart from knife manufacturing, this steel is also used in other industries to make medical instruments, cutting tools, and cutting edge die.
8Cr14MoV steel chemical composition
- Carbon C 0.75%: Increases the edge retention, hardness and tensile strength. It also improves steel resistance to wear, abrasion and corrosion.
- Chromium Cr 14.00%: Chromium Increases hardness, tensile strength and toughness of the blade by forming chromium carbide. The higher than 13% Cr is what makes 8Cr14MoV “stainless”
- Molybdenum Mo 0.25%: It improves machinability and hardening property.
- Manganese Mn: 0.50%: improves the strength and hardness of steel. When the steel is heat-treated, hardenability is improved with increased manganese.
- Vanadium V 0.15%: Increase wear resistance and toughness, it also improves corrosion resistance.
- Cobalt Co 2.50% Improves hardness of the blade as it increases the martensitic transformation temperature of the alloy, it also increases corrosion resistance of steel.
- Phosphorous P 0.035%: Improves hardness
- Sulphur 0.015%: Increases machinability of steel but can reduce toughness in large amounts.
- Silicon 0.50%: Improves grain structure for better hardness, however like Manganese it can increase brittleness.
- Tungsten W 3.00% Improves wear resistance and hardness, mostly added to tool steel.
Properties of 8Cr14MoV Steel
8Cr14MoV Steel Hardness
8Cr14MoV stainless steel hardness is 58-59 HRC as per the Rockwell hardness scale. This hardness level is high enough to give its blades good edge retention, sharpness, and wear resistance.
Also, the hardness of 8Cr14MoV blades differ depending on the process used by the manufacturer.
8Cr14MoV Steel Edge retention
8Cr14MoV stainless steel retains a sharp edge for a long time, which is one of the properties that make knives made of this steel stand out considering their low prices.
With the high hardness level attributed to the Carbon and chromium in its composition, blades made of this steel stay sharp for a long time, even with frequent use.
8Cr14MoV Steel Wear resistance
The decent amounts of Carbon, chromium, and vanadium in this steel give it higher wear resistance than other low-budget steel types.
Blades made from this steel can withstand abrasion and rough applications. Therefore, you can trust 8Cr14MoV stainless steel knives to serve you for a long time.
The toughness of steel is key in determining how it reacts to tough applications, which would lead to chipping or breaking. 8Cr14MoV stainless steel has decent toughness thanks to the chromium and molybdenum in its composition.
8Cr14MoV steel knives can withstand moderate abuse; they will serve you best if you use them for normal cutting jobs. If you expose them to batoning and other very tough cutting jobs, they will break and chip in no time.
8Cr14MoV Steel Corrosion resistance
Being stainless steel with more than 16% Chromium, 8Cr14MoV steel offers excellent corrosion resistance. You can use blades made from this steel in humid, wet, and marine environments without worrying about stains or rust.
It is because of this property that this steel is preferred in making kitchen and EDC knives. Also, to boost its corrosion resistance, everyday care and maintenance is essential. Wash and dry the blades after use.
Ease of Sharpening 8Cr14Mov steel
8Cr14MoV is hard steel, but not very hard to make it difficult to sharpen. You can get a sharp edge with this steel quickly using simple sharpening tools.
If you are on the market looking for a low-budget knife, which does not require frequent sharpening and is easy to sharpen, the varieties of 8Cr14MoV will never disappoint you.
8Cr14MoV Steel Vs. other knife steels
8Cr14MoV vs 8Cr13MoV
8Cr14MoV and 8Cr13MoV are Chinese made steel almost identical in chemical composition and have same hardness, sharpness, toughness, and wear resistance. However, 8Cr14MoV contains more chromium, hence it has better corrosion resistance.
8Cr14MoV Steel vs AUS 8
8Cr14MoV is Chinese steel while AUS 8 steel is Japanese steel, hence considered high-end steel with more Carbon. More Carbon translates to better in edge retention, wear resistance, and hardness.
However, they have the same level of toughness. In terms of corrosion resistance, The AUS 8 steel has more Chromium elements in its alloy composition meaning it will offer better corrosion resistance.
Is 8Cr14MoV Steel good knife Steel?
8Cr14MoV is good knife steel in the low-budget category. It offers balanced hardness, toughness, wear resistance, edge resistance, and great corrosion resistance.
The low pricing might lure you into thinking that 8Cr14MoV knives are low quality, but you will be surprised that they will serve you efficiently for a long time.
However, do not subject them to the pressure and tough application as you would knives made from high-end steels.